London Electric Vehicle Company unveils electric van


Green vehicle manufacturer London Electric Vehicle Company (LEVC) has unveiled its LCV van at a preview event in Frankfurt, Germany.

The zero-emission capable LCV is based on the same architecture and proven e-City range extender technology as LEVC’s TX Taxi, of which 2,500 have now been sold. The LCV will give an electric range of 129km (80 miles) and a combined petrol and EV range of 607km (377 miles), according to the company.

Targeting those who travel about 161km (100 miles) a day, LEVC’s LCV will offer ‘distribution to door’ – not just last mile – providing the link between out of town depots and city centres, capable of collecting goods outside of a major city in range extender mode, before switching to EV mode in an urban ultra-low emissions zone. This is currently a sector of the market dominated by one tonne medium-sized diesel vans.

“Future urban transport is already changing rapidly and we have a golden opportunity to bring something new and disruptive to this market,” said LEVC CEO Joerg Hofmann said. “There is huge demand for a medium-sized zero emissions capable light van and our LCV is the perfect solution to the green logistics trend. This new van is durable, reliable, efficient, cost effective and high quality. Our goal is to be the European leader in green commercial mobility solutions.”

Full details of the LCV will be revealed closer to its official launch in 2020, but LEVC say that it will target best-in-class total cost of ownership, thanks to savings in fuel and servicing over conventional ICE vans.

By 2022, LEVC expects that 70% of the vehicles built at its based in Ansty will be for the export market while the remaining 30% will be for UK operators.

More LEVC news, reviews and features

Dan Parton
Dan Parton
Dan Parton is a former editor of Truck & Driver, the UK’s biggest selling truck magazine. He is now writes for The Van Expert and The Truck Expert.

What are your thoughts? Let us know below.

Latest articles